What is a Sub-Group?
A Sub-Group is any group of people who gather for a common purpose. Some purposes include:
- Academic -- writing workshops, unit studies, science labs, 4-H, etc.
- Fellowship -- providing like-minded friends for our children and ourselves
- Faith -- prayer and service
- Geographic -- gathering families from an area or a church
Why form a Sub-Group?
The benefits are many:
- Support -- encouragement, fun, fellowship, prayer
- Reinforcement -- Group learning reinforces home learning
- Shared workload -- Some things can't be accomplished alone
- Accountability -- meeting deadlines, staying on schedule, achieving goals
- High Standards -- Work will be presented to the group
- Shared talents -- One's weaknesses may be filled by another's strengths
- Confidence -- We can learn from each other in our weak areas
- Interaction -- Close relationships within a safe environment
- Feedback -- Others can help us see weaknesses and strengths that we sometimes overlook
How do you start a Sub-Group?
- Determine your purpose
- Write a statement of purpose. A statement of faith is also advisable. It is important that from the beginning the group is of one mind. Be specific. Cover goals, discipline, and philosophy of education.
- Decide on your membership
- Invite people you know are of like mind. Unknown people are welcome but all must agree to your statement of purpose and statement of faith.
- Schedule a parents' meeting
- This may work best during the summer. Consider the questions below.
- Make a calendar for the year
- You may need to schedule another planning meeting to discuss further details for the year.
- Questions to consider
- Do we all agree with the statement of purpose and the statement of faith?
- How often will we meet?
- How will we handle discipline?
- How large will we allow our group to get?
- Where will we meet?
- Will we split into younger and older groups or meet all together?
- What are our plans for toddlers?
- Will we hire a sitter for babies?
- What is the most we will pay for a field trip or guest speaker?
- How will fathers be involved?
- Will there be assignments for children between group meetings?
For information about any of these Sub-Groups either send an email to the organization's Secretary, leave a voice message at (517) 783-9378 or send a letter requesting information about Sub-Groups to:
Jackson Area Home Educators
P.O. Box 6380
Jackson, MI 49204